The first road into outback Australia and origin of the modern
With the discovery of the one and only practical access corridor
through the salt lakes into outback Australia (by Corporal A.P.
Burtt in 1858), the unknown interiors were laid bare to further
explorations by pastoral and mining interests.
This activity literally exploded in 1858 and resulted in the formation
of a route of common passage. This route was simplistically known
as the North-South Road but it was used primarily by bullocky teams
in its early days (see also reference) and subsequently is now referred to
by locals as the old bullocky road.
The Bullocky Road eventually extended right through to the north
coast by 1872 but between Marree and Oodnadatta it was effectively
replaced by the railway line as it moved north between 1884 - 1891.
This photo shows a fantastic view of the old road on Callanna Station
near Marree but generally speaking the old trail is virtually impossible
to follow. In many places it has been abandoned for at least a century
and all evidence of it has long since gone.
<< Return to Photos page