Dalhousie Station ruins
The impressive Dalhousie Springs were discovered in December 1870
by Richard Knuckey while overseeing construction of a section of
the OTL north of Oodnadatta. The first pastoral lease incorporating
the springs was taken out in 1873 by Edward Meade Bagot and it was
Bagot who constructed the old homestead (now ruins) shown here.
Bagot sold Dalhousie Station to John Lewis in 1896 and it was one
of Lewis's sons, Essington Lewis, who went on to become chief executive
of the "Big Australian" or BHP.
This site exists some distance from the Oodnadatta Track.
<< Return to Photos page
Dalhousie Station ruins - main homestead and palm tree
Photo - Philip Gee (1989)