Peake ruins historic site
Peake ruins historic site - Peake Station
Prior to the first successful crossing of the Australian continent
by a white man (John McDouall Stuart in 1862), Peake Station was
the most remote outpost of European settlement.
In 1862 the Station was known as Mt Margaret Station, the homestead
of which existed some 80km to the south east. In 1863 Stephen Jarvis
commenced building an outstation of Mt. Margaret at Freeling Springs
and called it the Peake. By 1876 the Mt Margaret site was abandoned
and the Peake site became the station headquarters.
Between 1870 and 1891 the Peake site was also an important repeater
station on the OTL and in 1898 work commenced nearby on a large
but ultimately futile copper mining operation and smelter.
The Peake site has been essentially abandoned since ~1906 and is
now an important state heritage site.
<< Return to Photos page